In general, when cooking turkeys: A small (14-inch) roasting pan works for birds up to 12 pounds. A medium (16-inch) roasting pan is ideal for birds up to 16 pounds. A large (18-inch) roasting pan can fit turkeys up to 20 pounds.
What is the best pan to cook a turkey in?
The Best Roasting Pan
- Our pick. Cuisinart 16″ Roasting Pan With Rack (MCP117-16BR) …
- Runner-up. Anolon Tri-ply Clad Roaster with Nonstick Rack. …
- Also great. KitchenAid Tri-ply Stainless Steel Roaster. …
- Budget pick. Granite Ware 19-inch Covered Oval Roaster (F0510) …
- Upgrade pick. Williams Sonoma All-Clad Stainless-Steel Flared Roaster.
Can I cook my turkey in a glass pan?
When it comes to roasting a turkey for Thanksgiving, not just any pan will do. Your favorite glass pan isn’t the right material for this, and your trusty 9×13-inch baking sheet won’t stand up to the drippings (or the weight). … The clearest advantage is its size: It can easily hold a 16-pound turkey.
Can I cook a turkey without a roasting pan?
How to Cook a Thanksgiving Turkey Without a Roasting Pan
- Bake Your Turkey in a Bundt Pan. Create the perfect vertical turkey roaster using a bundt pan that will ensure even heat distribution and crispy skin all around your bird. …
- Grill Your Turkey. …
- Use a Cast-Iron Skillet. …
- Use a Baking Sheet and Deconstruct Your Bird.
Can you cook a turkey in a 9×13 pan?
Pans that should be big enough to accommodate a large turkey or roast include: Cake Pan: A 9-by-13-inch cake pan is standard, though you’ll want something a little larger for a full-sized turkey. … Broiler Pan: The typical design doesn’t have the high sides of a roasting pan, but it does include a rack for drippings.
Can you roast a turkey in a Pyrex dish?
A Pyrex 3-quart Utility Dish is ideal for roasting a turkey.
Do I need a lid to roast a turkey?
Just make sure you uncover the lid about 30 minutes before the turkey’s done roasting so the skin has a chance to get crispy. … Covering the bird with foil mimics what a roaster lid would do — it traps steam and moistness so the turkey doesn’t dry out — all the while allowing the skin to crisp up.
How long do you cook a turkey?
How Long Does It Take to Cook a Turkey?
|Turkey Weight||Cooking Time||Doneness Temperature|
|12-14 lbs.||3 hrs–3 hrs 45 mins||170-175°F|
|14-18 lbs.||3 hrs 45 mins–4 hrs 15 mins||170-175°F|
|18-20 lbs.||4 hrs 15 mins–4 hrs 30 mins||170-175°F|
|20-24 lbs.||4 hrs 30 mins–5 hrs||170-175°F|
Can a glass pan be used as a roasting pan?
Glass is probably better at roasting than cheap cookie style sheets, because it keeps the heat distribution fairly smooth. But glass will not hold up well to heavy roasting use and will eventually ruin your dinner when it cracks or shatters. All Clad makes a great roasting pan with wire rack.
What temperature do you cook turkey at?
Stick with a temperature of 325°F, which ensures the turkey gets cooked all the way without becoming overdone.
What can I use if I don’t have a wire rack?
- Use a spare baking rack if you have one available. …
- Use a removable grate from a gas stovetop as a cooling rack. …
- Place baked goods on top of a cool burner on an electric stove. …
- Roll up pieces of foil and put them on the counter apart. …
- Create a grid out of metal open-style cookie cutters to use as a rack.