Generally, burgers should be cooked on Medium-High (approximately 375 degrees) to High (400 degrees). Most gas grills have a built in thermometer to monitor the heat but you can buy a grill thermometer for charcoal grills too.
How long do you cook burgers on a gas grill?
IF USING A GRILL: Heat a gas grill to high or heat coals in a charcoal grill until they glow bright orange and ash over. Brush the burgers with the oil. Grill the burgers until golden brown and slightly charred on the first side, about 3 minutes for beef and 5 minutes for turkey.
What temperature do you cook hamburgers at?
To test for doneness, insert an instant-read meat thermometer through the side of a burger into the center. The internal temperature should be about 145°F for medium-rare or, if using commercial ground beef, cook it to at least medium, 160°F.
How do you know when burgers are done on the grill?
We suggest putting the thermometer into the side of the burger—that way it’s less likely to go all the way through the meat, and give you a false reading. At 120°F, the burger is rare. At 130°F, it’s medium-rare. 140°F is medium, 150°F is medium-well, and over 160°F is well done.
How long should I grill my hamburgers?
In general, follow these total grilling times:
- For rare burgers, cook for 4 minutes total (125°F)
- For medium-rare burgers, cook for 5 minutes total (135°F)
- For medium burgers, cook for 6 to 7 minutes total (145°F)
- For well-done burgers, cook for 8 to 9 minutes total (160 °F)
How long do you grill burgers at 400?
- Divide ground beef into 4 (½-pound) or 6 (1/3-pound) portions. …
- Heat the grill to high (gas or charcoal); 375-400 degrees F. …
- Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes for rare, 4-5 for medium-rare or 6-7 for medium doneness as measured with an Instant Read thermometer. …
- Remove and allow to rest 5 minutes.
What is the best way to cook hamburgers on the grill?
- Grill your burgers over high heat. …
- Avoid using your spatula to press down on your burgers while cooking. …
- Flip your burgers only one time–about 3 minutes on each side for medium rare plus. …
- If you get a flare up, cover the grill. …
- Allow your burgers to rest for a few minutes before serving.
How long do you grill burgers at 350?
Grill your burgers for 6 minutes on one side and then flip. Grill hamburgers for an additional 6 minutes or until the internal temperature is between 140 and 145ºF. The center of the burgers will be pink and warm.
Do you have to flip burgers in the oven?
Do not flip your burgers! The air will circulate under the patties, cooking them evenly on both sides and sealing in the juice. The top will be nice and browned, ready for cheese if wish. 8.
How do you tell if a burger is done without a thermometer?
Go in at an angle in the middle of the cut, wait for a second, and then touch the tester to your wrist. If it’s cold, the meat is raw. If it’s warm—close to your body temperature—then the meat is medium rare. If it’s hot, it’s well done.
How long do you cook a hot dog on the grill?
GRILLING. Warm to medium heat. Grill for 7 to 9 minutes, or until heated through, turning occasionally. When hot dogs are done on the grill, remove all at once to avoid overcooking.
How long should you cook burgers on each side?
For medium burgers, cook the patty on one side for three minutes and the other side for five minutes. When you prefer your burger to be done medium-well, cook the patty on one side for three minutes and the other for six minutes.
How long does it take to cook a burger?
Place the burgers on the grill grate and cook, waiting for at least 4 minutes before flipping. Cook until both sides are browned and the burger is cooked to the desired doneness, about 10 minutes total for medium-rare, 8-ounce burgers. Let the burgers rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
What is the secret to juicy hamburgers?
Here are the chef’s tips to turning out the ultimate, show-stopping burger:
- Use 80/20 ground chuck.
- Make a thumbprint in the middle of the patty.
- Season with salt and pepper ONLY.
- Use canola oil, cast iron and high heat.
- Flip once.
- Get the temperature just right.
- Don’t be afraid to mix cheeses.
- Use a squishy bun.
Is it better to cook burgers in the oven or on the stove?
Baked burgers are a great, nearly hands-off cooking method that won’t fill your kitchen with the smell of frying beef. Pan-fried burgers, on the other hand, have the benefit of a tasty sear from the cast-iron skillet. And, if it’s hot out, cooking burgers on the stove-top won’t heat your house as baking burgers will.
Is it safe to eat medium rare burgers?
According to the food code, ground beef should be cooked at 155 degrees F internally and held there for 15 seconds, or 158 degrees for even a moment, in order to kill pathogens at the center of the meat. Unlike a rare steak, a rare burger is risky because the germs from the outside of the meat have been ground inside.