For the perfect medium-rare porterhouse steak, grill for 10-13 minutes for a 1-inch steak, and 14-17 minutes for a 1½ inch steak, turning about 1 minute before the halfway point. A meat thermometer should read 130°F. Rest your steaks for 5 minutes before serving, covering lightly with foil.
How long do you cook a 1-inch steak?
For a 1-inch steak, grill over medium heat between 10 and 12 minutes per side. It should reach an internal temperature of 170 F (77 C) or higher.
How do you grill a thick porterhouse steak?
- Preheat the grill. Preheat your grill or smoker to 225 degrees F with indirect heat. …
- Season. …
- Cook the steaks. …
- Remove and rest. …
- Heat the oil. …
- Sear the porterhouse steaks. …
- Remove and rest. …
- Slice and serve.
How long do you grill a 2 inch porterhouse steak?
Cooking Instructions (Grilling) Thick Porterhouse Steak
|Porterhouse Steak||Rare||Well Done|
|1/2 Inch Steak||2 minutes||5-6 minutes|
|3/4 Inch Steak||2-3 minutes||6-7 minutes|
|Temperature||125-130 degrees||160-170 degrees|
How long do you cook a 1-inch thick steak for medium?
If you like your steak medium
The internal temperature for a medium steak should be around 140 degrees. This takes about 10 minutes of cooking on each side for a 1-inch thick steak. As with a medium-rare steak, let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
How long do I cook a steak on each side?
As a rule of thumb (for a steak 22mm thick) – cook 2 minutes each side for rare, 3-4 mins each side for medium-rare and 4-6 mins each side for medium. For well done, cook for 2-4 minutes each side, then turn the heat down and cook for another 4-6 minutes.
How do you cook a 1 inch steak?
Place the steaks on the grill and cook until golden brown and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the steaks over and continue to grill 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare (an internal temperature of 135 degrees F), 5 to 7 minutes for medium (140 degrees F) or 8 to 10 minutes for medium-well (150 degrees F).
How do I cook a 2 inch thick porterhouse steak?
- Let the steak rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot.
- Season the steak heavily with salt and pepper on all sides. …
- Broil to desired doneness, about 4 minutes for medium rare, 5 to 6 minutes for medium.
What’s better ribeye or porterhouse?
A Ribeye cut is more flavorful than Porterhouse. The taste is beefy and delicious due to the combination of fat, marbling, and tender texture. In terms of tenderness, the Porterhouse steak is tender, just like most cow parts, including the filet mignon.
How do you grill a 2 inch porterhouse steak?
for Porterhouse Steak
Sear on high heat for 1 – 2 minutes each side, then move to indirect heat. Turn them 1 minute before the halfway point of the cooking time. For perfect doneness, we recommend you use a meat thermometer and use the Measuring Doneness chart below.
How do I cook a porterhouse medium rare?
Cook a 2cm-thick piece of steak for 2-3 minutes each side for rare, 4 minutes each side for medium, and 5-6 minutes each side for well-done. Turn the steak only once, otherwise it will dry out. Always use tongs to handle steak as they won’t pierce the meat, allowing the juices to escape.
What temperature do you cook a porterhouse steak at?
A beautiful porterhouse like this really is best cooked to medium rare, 130–134°F (55–57°C) final temperature, but you can cook it more to medium (135-145°F [57-63°C]) according to your individual taste.
How do I know when my steak is done?
How to Check Your Steak’s Temperature Without a Thermometer
- Raw. Feel the palm of your hand, just below your thumb. …
- Rare. Now bring your thumb to your pointer finger, and touch that same part of your palm again. …
- Medium-Rare. Touch your thumb to your middle finger. …
- Medium. Move your thumb to your ring finger. …
- Well-Done. Now touch your thumb to your pinky.
How many minutes do you bake a steak?
Choose a steak with a minimum one-inch thickness.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Season the steaks on both sides with sea salt and fresh-cracked black pepper.
- Place steak on a rack placed over a rimmed baking sheet and put in the preheated oven.
- Cook the steaks in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
What heat should you cook steak?
- In a medium pan over medium-high heat, heat oil. Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides. When oil is just about to smoke, add steak. Cook 7 minutes, then flip and add butter. …
- Remove from pan and let rest 5 minutes before cutting.