Cover grill and roast turkey 2 1/2 to 3 hours (11 to 13 minutes per pound for unstuffed bird), adding 8 to 9 briquettes to each side of pan every hour to maintain a grill temperature of 325 degrees F on oven or grill thermometer.
How long does it take to cook a turkey on a charcoal grill?
Cook 11 to 13 minutes per pound or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh not touching bone registers 180 degrees and the juices run clear. Transfer turkey to a platter. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Method for the Charcoal Kettle Grill: Open all vents on the grill.
How do you charcoal grill a turkey?
How To Grill A Turkey
- Prepare charcoal-covered grill by removing cooking grate and opening all vents.
- Position drip pan in center of charcoal grate and place 25 to 30 briquettes along each side (lengthwise) of drip pan. Burn briquettes until covered with gray ash, about 30 minutes. Place cooking grate in grill over coals.
How do I cook a turkey on a Weber charcoal grill?
Heat the grill to 300-350F degrees, setting up an indirect heat area that the turkey will smoke over. Add the turkey to the grill and cover with the lid. Set the thermometer alarm to 165F degrees. After 1 hour, spritz with apple cider.
Do you leave the lid open or closed when heating charcoal?
The lid should be open while you arrange and light your charcoal. Once the coals are well-lit, close the lid. Most charcoal grills are hotter right after lighting. The heat then tapers off.
What temperature should I grill my turkey?
- For me, the optimum cooking temperature for turkey on a grill is medium, about 325°F.
- Using a raised cooking grid or using an indirect grilling set up will help gently cook your turkey all the way through.
How long do you cook a turkey?
How Long Does It Take to Cook a Turkey?
|Turkey Weight||Cooking Time||Doneness Temperature|
|12-14 lbs.||3 hrs–3 hrs 45 mins||170-175°F|
|14-18 lbs.||3 hrs 45 mins–4 hrs 15 mins||170-175°F|
|18-20 lbs.||4 hrs 15 mins–4 hrs 30 mins||170-175°F|
|20-24 lbs.||4 hrs 30 mins–5 hrs||170-175°F|
Can I smoke a turkey on a charcoal grill?
Smoking the turkey will take about 3 to 4 hours after brining, depending on the size of your bird. You can use a gas or charcoal grill for this recipe. Regardless, you will want a good-quality grill thermometer. Check the meat at multiple points with a probe thermometer to ensure it is fully cooked and safe to eat.
How long do you let charcoal burn before cooking?
DON’T: Forget to preheat the grill before you start cooking.
Once your coals are distributed in your grill, throw the lid on and let it sit for five to 10 minutes before placing any food over the coals, you want to hear a light sizzle when the protein, fruit or vegetables hit the grates.
How long does it take to cook a turkey on a Weber?
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect cooking over medium heat (180°C to 230°C). …
- Remove the neck and giblets from the cavity of the turkey (if desired, save to make gravy). …
- To calculate the cooking time for turkey, allow for 20 minutes, plus an additional 20 minutes per kilogram.
How long will a charcoal grill stay hot?
A properly built fire should stay hot enough to cook for 30-40 minutes.
When grilling should the lid be on or off?
Just remember to keep your grill lid off while your coals are being lit because the more air flow the better. If you close the lid during this lighting process, you will kill the fire and have to start over.
Do you shut the lid on a BBQ?
If you are working with thin cuts of meat, then it may be best to leave the lid open. … Leaving the grill lid up will slow the cooking process by reducing the temperature around the meat. For thicker cuts, you want to close the lid to keep the temperature high and even.