All you need for stir-frying are a wok and a broad, curved spatula. A wok, which is shaped like a big, wide bowl with high sloping sides, is designed for stir-frying. The curve of the pan makes it easy for a spatula to scrape down the sides and toss the food without accidentally turning it out of the pan.
What are three important steps to a good stir fry?
Get Set to Stir-Fry in 3 Steps
- Step 1: Wok and Roll. A wok is the classic stir-fry pan. …
- Step 2: Gather Your Ingredients. The most important step in stir-frying is prepping all the ingredients before you fire up the wok. …
- Step 3: Fast and Furious Frying.
How do you make stir fry in a frying pan?
How to Make Stir Fry
- Set a large wok or frying pan over medium-high heat and allow it to get screaming hot. Swirl in 2 Tablespoons of oil (1 Tablespoon if using a non-stick pan).
- Add your meat and cook until browned on each side (and cooked through if using chicken or pork).
What constitutes a stir fry?
Stir frying (Chinese: 炒; pinyin: chǎo) is a Chinese cooking technique in which ingredients are fried in a small amount of very hot oil while being stirred or tossed in a wok. The technique originated in China and in recent centuries has spread into other parts of Asia and the West.
What utensils do you use in a wok?
Pair with Your Stainless Steel Wok: A Wooden Spatula
Stainless steel can withstand just about any food, but when it comes to cooking utensils, stick with nonmetallic spoons and spatulas. Stainless steel tools can scratch the wok’s surface, leaving you with cracks and grooves that may cause foods to stick.
What can I add to stir fry for flavor?
5. Add flavour.
- Herbs: basil, oregano, cilantro.
- Spices: cumin, coriander, cardamom.
- Reduced sodium or no sodium added broth.
- Fresh lemongrass, garlic or ginger.
- 100% fruit juice.
- Citrus zest.
- Lower sodium soy sauces (<600 mg sodium per tablespoon)
What vegetables do you stir fry first?
Stir-fry onions first, then add hard vegetables such as carrot and broccoli. Quick-cooking vegetables, such as snow peas, leafy greens and bean sprouts, should be added towards the end of cooking.
How do I make the perfect stir fry?
How to make a stir-fry
- Prepare all the ingredients before turning on the heat. …
- Slice meat and vegetables for maximum surface area. …
- Use a wok or cast-iron pan. …
- The aromatics should be cooked low and slow. …
- But the stir fry needs to be cooked fast and hot. …
- Add ingredients according to cook time. …
- Stir your ingredients often. …
- Thicken the stir-fry sauce.
How do you make stir fry sauce from scratch?
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce.
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth.
- 1 – 2 tablespoons cornstarch.
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic.
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar.
What is the difference between stir fry and pan fry?
Sautéing, or pan frying, starts with cooking in butter or oil and ends with crispy vegetables. Stir-frying is another cooking method that yields flavorful vegetables and juicy meats from fresh foods or leftovers.
How long should a stir fry take?
Heat the oil in wok or large deep skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots; stir fry 2 minutes. Add remaining vegetables; stir fry 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
Do you stir fry on high heat?
Stir-frying is a fast and fresh way to cook. Simply toss and turn bite-sized pieces of food in a little hot oil in a wok over high heat, and in five minutes or less, the work is done. Vegetables emerge crisp and bright.
What food can you stir fry?
The main ingredients to a stir-fry are: Proteins – chicken, beef, pork, seafood, tofu, tempeh, seitan. Aromatics – garlic, green onions, shallots, ginger. Vegetables – pretty much anything goes for this category.
Can I use metal on a wok?
Now, as Owen said, if you have one of those cheapo Teflon woks, then yes, you should probably avoid metal implements. … Teflon was never designed for that kind of heat or to take that kind of punishment. But as long as your wok is good material, definitely get yourself a proper metal scoop and use it!
What is the best spatula to use with a wok?
- THE ULTIMATE WOODEN WOK SPATULAS.
- Weber 6468 Original Wok Tool Set.
- FAAY Teak Wooden Saute Paddle, Wood Spatula Turner.
- THE BEST WOK SPATULAS.
- Métier Atelier D-0046 AKTMTR0005 Kitchen Asian Turner.
- DESLON Wok Spatula Stainless Steel with Hollow Long Heat Resistant Handle Wok Utensils.
- WMF Profi Plus Wok Turner.
Why use a wok instead of a frying pan?
A wok is ideal for stir-frying; as the food is cooked, it’s pushed up to the sides of the wok while the remaining food is cooked on the bottom. A wok uses less oil than a conventional large skillet, and its high, sloping sides contain most of the splatter. … The cooking is very quick and requires attentive stirring.