The Test Kitchen agrees that 375℉ is the best temperature to cook a turkey, because it’s not too hot, not too cold, and cooks quickly enough to ensure that a juicy, flavorful bird is ready by dinnertime. … When it’s done, a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the turkey’s thigh should register 165°F.
How long does it take to cook a turkey at 375 degrees?
- Preparing the bird – Heat oven to 375 degrees. …
- Cooking the bird – Estimate 12-15 minutes per pound for stuffed turkeys. …
- Testing for doneness – You can either test by checking the temperature or checking the color of the juices. …
- Finishing off – Remove bird from the oven.
Should I cook my turkey at 325 or 350?
Roast the turkey uncovered at a temperature ranging from 325°F to 350°F. Higher temperatures may cause the meat to dry out, but this is preferable to temperatures that are too low which may not allow the interior of the turkey to cook to a safe temperature.
What is the best temperature to cook a turkey?
Stick with a temperature of 325°F, which ensures the turkey gets cooked all the way without becoming overdone.
Can you cook a turkey at 400 degrees?
400°F is the perfect temperature for cooking a whole bird. You’ll get crispy skin without compromising tenderness. Depending on the size of your bird, it should take anywhere from 3-6 hours to roast at 400°F. … It doesn’t matter what orientation you roast your turkey in.
How do I keep my turkey moist?
Classic Bread Stuffing Recipe
- Choose a fresh turkey instead of a frozen one. …
- Roast two small turkeys rather than one large one. …
- Brine the turkey. …
- Rub soft butter under the skin. …
- Truss loosely, or not at all. …
- Roast the turkey upside down at first. …
- Don’t overcook it. …
- Let the turkey rest before carving.
How long should you cook a turkey at 325?
How Long to Roast a Turkey
- For one 8- to 12-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 2¾ to 3 hours.
- For one 12- to 14-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 3 to 3¾ hours.
- For one 14- to 18-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 3¾ to 4¼ hours.
- For one 18- to 20-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 4¼ to 4½ hours.
Is it better to cook a turkey covered or uncovered?
Just make sure you uncover the lid about 30 minutes before the turkey’s done roasting so the skin has a chance to get crispy. … We’ve found that covering a turkey in foil yields much moister results than roasting it without foil, and we favor simply covering up the breast to even out cooking time.
Can you cook a turkey at 325 degrees?
turkey (weight with giblets): Bake in a 325° oven for 3-3 3/4 hr. For a 28-30 lb turkey (weight with giblets): Bake in a 325° oven for 3 1/2-4 1/2 hr. Times are for unstuffed birds. A stuffed bird may cook at the same rate as an unstuffed one; however, be prepared to allow 30 to 50 minutes longer.
Should you put water in turkey roasting pan?
We do not recommend adding water to the bottom of the pan. Cooking a turkey with steam is a moist heat-cook method and is acceptable, sure, but is not the preferred method for cooking your turkey.” … The meat will be less flavorful by cooking via steam instead of roasting.
How long should a 20 pound turkey cook at 350 degrees?
How long you cook your turkey can vary, depending on the temperature of the oven and whether or not your turkey recipe calls for a stuffed or unstuffed bird. We recommend roasting turkey at 350 degrees F for 13 minutes per pound for an unstuffed turkey.
What is the lowest safe temperature to cook a turkey?
Make it safe – The United States Department of Agriculture ( USDA ) recommends temperatures no lower than 325 degrees Fahrenheit for cooking meat and poultry. Cook turkey to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Is it better to cook a turkey at a lower temperature?
A lower the rack will take more time to thaw. It’s absolutely critical that the turkey is completely thawed to be successful using a low-temperature, slow-bake recipe.
How long do you leave a turkey in the oven?
Cook until the turkey is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165F (checked in the inner thigh meat and in the thickest part of the breast). For a 14 pound turkey this takes around 3 1/2 to 4 hours. A general guide is that it takes approximately 15 minutes per pound to cook an unstuffed turkey.
How long should a 20lb turkey cook?
If you’re baking it at 325°F (the lowest temperature the USDA recommends), you’ll need to bake a 20-lb turkey in the oven for 4 to 5 hours if it’s unstuffed, and 4 ¼ to 5 ¼ hours if it’s stuffed.
How long does it take to cook a turkey at 450 degrees?
- Move oven rack to lowest position; heat oven to 450°F. …
- On rack in shallow roasting pan, place turkey breast side up. …
- Roast uncovered 2 hours 45 minutes to 3 hours 15 minutes, watching carefully. …
- Turkey is done when thermometer reads 165°F and drumsticks move easily when lifted or twisted.