A Lodge dutch oven is surely one of the most versatile pots in any kitchen. You can use these iron beauties to prepare skillet dinners, cook pasta, braise roasts, and even bake bread! I love these pots because they can go from stovetop to oven, which is nice for recipes that need to finish with baking or broiling.
What can be cooked in a cast iron Dutch oven?
Think simmering soups, steaming rice, boiling water for pasta, etc. Sear, pan-fry, sautee: A camping Dutch oven is also a great stand-in for a cast-iron skillet. Anything that can be cooked in a cast-iron skillet can be done in a Dutch oven too, like searing steaks, browning chicken thighs, sauteing vegetables, etc.
What is good to make in a Dutch oven?
What to Cook in Your Dutch Oven
- Short Ribs. Sort of the original “set it and forget it,” a Dutch oven is just the thing for a long-simmering braise.
- Macaroni and Cheese. If you have the space and resources, consider a smaller Dutch oven (or mini ones!), too.
- Scalloped Potatoes. …
- Coq au Vin. …
- Dorie Greenspan’s Roast Chicken. …
- Seafood Stew. …
- Bread. …
What can a Dutch oven be used for?
Today’s Dutch ovens look a lot nicer, though; most are enameled cast iron and come in a variety of colors. But they’re just as multifunctional, and they’re a good choice for simple tasks and more complicated recipes like braising meat, baking bread, cooking soups and stews, and deep-frying chicken.
What can you cook in a ceramic Dutch oven?
18 Recipes to Put Your Dutch Oven to Work
- One-Pot Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole. …
- Vegetarian Kale and Cannellini Bean Stew. …
- Chicken in Coconut Milk with Lemongrass. …
- Braised French Onion Chicken with Gruyère. …
- Easy Lemon-Ginger Spinach. …
- Tomato Tortellini Soup. …
- One-Pot Weeknight Beef Stroganoff.
Can you use a cast iron Dutch oven in the oven?
2. Cast iron works on all heat sources. You can use an enameled cast iron Dutch oven on the stovetop (whether it’s electric, gas, or induction), oven, or grill. It even works on coal- or wood-powered ovens.
What can you not cook in cast iron?
What Not to Cook in a Cast-Iron Skillet
- Avoid Cooking Acidic Foods in Cast-Iron Pans. …
- Be Aware that a Cast-Iron Surface Takes on Flavors. …
- Don’t Cook Delicate Fish In Cast Iron. …
- Before Your Skillet Is Well-Seasoned, Avoid Sticky Foods. …
- And, Whatever You Cook, Avoid Storing Food in Your Cast-Iron Pan.
What can you not cook in a Dutch oven?
Here are five mistakes to avoid with your prized Dutch oven.
- Using it on very high heat.
- Preheating it empty or on high heat.
- Not using enough oil or butter to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Using metal utensils when cooking.
- Not drying it completely.
Do I really need a Dutch oven?
Cook Anything with Confidence
A good Dutch oven is a kitchen essential, heavy and thick enough to conduct and retain heat and deep enough to handle large cuts of meat and quarts of cooking liquid. While a Dutch oven is ideal for braises, stews, and chilis, you can ask it to do much more.
Can you fry in Dutch oven?
YES, you can fry or deep fry food in a cast-iron Dutch oven – many people do it and most of them will likely tell you that they prefer to fry their food on any type of cast-iron cooker. There are many different types of Dutch ovens including aluminum and stainless steel.
Why are Dutch ovens so expensive?
Dutch ovens walls and bases are thick to withstand the extreme temperatures that are required to heat up the pot then distribute the heat evenly to cook the perfect dish. This combination can produce an expensive Dutch oven.
Why is Le Creuset so expensive?
What makes Le Creuset so much more expensive that other enamel coated cast iron cookware? They’re an old company with a good reputation, so to a large extent they can trade on that. … Buying a Le Creuset pot is less like buying a product and more like buying a lifetime membership in a free-new-pot club.
Can a Dutch oven be used on a glass cooktop?
A Dutch oven is a cooking pot made of metal, typically cast iron, but aluminum pots are not uncommon. Dutch ovens are usable on glass-top stoves, provided they have the right construction. A smooth-bottomed Dutch oven cooks well on a stove top. …
Can I preheat a ceramic Dutch oven?
Just like above, preheating a Dutch oven on high heat is as bad as cooking with it on high heat. It can heat up too fast and the surface and food can burn. Also, you never want to preheat it while empty — this can cause the enamel to crack — so drizzle your olive oil in first and then switch the stovetop on.